We just love these cute Santa illustrations by Naomi Hocking! They form part of a complete printables kit to download and use to make some of the gorgeous card ideas from Papercraft inspirations 118.
The project includes a sweet 3D Santa train that works as a unique gift box! We’ve included full instructions on how to put together the train below.
Love this design? Take a look at more of our festive ideas and free downloads!
How to make a Christmas train gift box
1. Print the Santa’s train printables onto thin white card. Cut out the train and carriage pieces with a sharp pair of scissors.
2. Measure the width of the carriages (without the yellow connecting ends) and make three open boxes from white card – using tabs cut from the card, to keep it simple.
3. Measure the width of the train and repeat this technique to make an open box from another piece of white card.
4. Place the train and carriages on a flat surface, so they’re a mirror image of each other. Attach the pieces to each of the sides of the white boxes.
5. For a really neat finish, print out an extra train and three carriage and cut the illustrations to cover the front and back ends of the boxes.
6. Print out another blue carriage onto white card and cut across the wheels, to make a straight edge. Attach either side of the card inside the front of the train, to create a curved top.
7. Repeat this technique to make the curved roof of the train from a piece of cream card. Create a 3D look by printing out extra copies of the illustrations and attaching sections to the sides of the train and carriages with sticky foam pads.
8. Attach the yellow connecting pieces between the train and carriages with tacky PVA glue or small brads.
9. Embellish the train and carriages with brightly-coloured buttons. Finish by filling the carriages with sweet treats!
Download free Santa printables
Click the links below to download and print out your designs and get crafting!